The following key strategies are used to build children's mathematical vocabulary, understanding and confidence:
- Key vocabulary is introduced with clear explanations.
- Correct mathematical vocabulary is used precisely and consistently so that maths language is familiar and part of children's everyday experience.
- Teachers and children will use full sentences to explain and respond.
- Stem sentences are used to help children express mathematical concept accurately.
- Mathematical signs are used early on so that children quickly become familiar with them and their meaning.
Below you will find vocabulary lists for each year group. These outline where new vocabulary is taught and other vocabulary that is highlighted in each unit.